I don't especially believe in fate, I believe that God has a plan set up for every person and the bad choices that they make divert them from God's plan, but He has planned for the person to make the mistake because they will learn from it. However, I believe that when people know the future and run from it, they are much more likely to run into the "fate" that they were once trying to flee from. So, I believe in a higher power planning accordingly to the choices that we make.
In Oedipus Rex by Sophocles, Oedipus' parents are told at birth that he is destined to kill his father and marry his mother. They send a servant to kill baby Oedipus, however in a strange twist of events, Oedipus does end up killing his father and marrying his mother. This was not even a bad thing for quite a while as him and his mother ruled the kingdom unknowledgeable about their pending doom from unknown incest. The more that Oedipus ran from the prophecy that was so repulsive, the stronger he fell into the trap and when he discovered the truth, the sin was already committed and the curse had been set upon their kingdom. Had Oedipus' parents not overreacted to the prophecy when he was born he would've been less likely to fall into the trap of the prophecy and sin.
No comments:
Post a Comment